Monday, February 6, 2012

The soul shines bright in this game!

If you're familiar with the Soul Calibur series, then you already know it is a weapons-based fighting game. Soul Calibur V shines in a lot of aspects, but I miss a few things from the past games. Like a story mode to each of the characters, rather than a mediocre story which goes all-over-the-place. The fifth game in the series is looking fine indeed, this is one of the best looking fighting games to date. Added with flashy animations, a surprisingly fitting super-move-meter and an indepth character creation mode.

Patroklos in action.
The story is focused on a guy named Patroklos who is in search of his sister. You mainly play as him and get some "skill" in his fighting style(sword and shield), but, I never really enjoyed playing as him. The guy is so simpleminded and full of clichés, so much in fact, that he doesn't become a likeable character. There are some other characters you also play in the story aswell, like Patroklos' sister, Pyrrha. I found more liking to her than Patroklos, even though she has a slight different moveset than her brother and a greater "feel" to the fighting. Not the best story, but still, it had me entertained.

Ezio, show ya moves!
While this game seems to be focusing a lot more on online than it's predecessor, I still play offline most of my time. Even though there are some really nice lobbies, you can spectate while others are playing, chat lobbies and an overall nice feel to the online community. I still spend most of my time in Quick Battles or Arcade mode, since they got me hooked. Especially the Quick Battles, they can be challenging(fun!) and you get to unlock titles, you even get some exp after each battle. Yes, you level up in this game, but you don't really get more damage or anything. But! You unlock certain clothing at certain levels, which is awesome.

Probably the most awesome feature in this game is the Character Creation mode, you can pretty much make anyone. That's right! Anyone. The characters I've made so far are Ganondorf and Luffy D. Monkey. I wish I could show you some screenshots because it's awesome how much you can do in this mode. And of course, you can then play as your favorite character online/offline. There is also a great amount of fighting styles you can play as, all of which seem pretty balanced. You can even play as Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed, but I was disappointed to find out you can't make a character out of his fighting style or rather "soul".
Indepth character creation.

And that pretty much sums up Soul Calibur V, it has a rather weak story, but I was entertained by it. Quick Battles are a blast to play, even more if you like to collect titles. The online portion is really well done with awesome lobbies and a better online community than it's predecessor or -dare i say it- in all of fighting-games history(especially the lobbies etc.). Also, the limitless character creation mode is a huge bonus!  All in all, I enjoy this game and I will definitely continue to play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment