Sunday, January 29, 2012

Resident Evil: Revelations

I know I've been absent for awhile now, but what better way to start my "comeback" than REvelations, as I like to call it! Resident Evil games have always been about cranks, now though, it's all about screwdrivers! Talk about a handy tool in this game..

Ohh Crank, how I miss thee.
As stated in a previous article, I'm a huge fan of the RE series. When I first heard about REvelations, I thought: "Great, another action game." So I really didn't pay a lot of attention to it, now though, I'm glad I got it. Not only is it scary, but the game actually feels complete! Unlike the previous RE game for the 3DS, it had a lot of things missing, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

The story in this game takes place on an abandoned cruise ship. Not going to spoil anything, but Jill Valentine and her new partner, Parker, have been assigned to find Chris Redfield and Jessica. The last known location was.. yup, you guessed it, the abandoned cruise ship. The only problem I had with the story.. was that you switch characters a lot, kinda like Call of Duty(well, not really THAT extreme). And that kind of breaks the tension you have going on in this cruise ship.

Your standard enemy, the Ooze.
There are a lot of charming characters in this game, I noticed that when turning on the Japanese voice actors(2nd playthrough). You know how I like my voice actors! I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the english voice actors, but sometimes they sound too bossy, too cocky or too whiny. While the japanese voice actors, I think they nailed it. The story should take you up to 7-8 hours to complete, which i felt was just right, any longer and it would've been a drag..

The gameplay is an over-the-shoulder-survival-horror-shooter, or you could switch it to first person aim view if you want. But I personally like the 3rd person view, mainly because it looks great in 3D. The control scheme in this game is a lot like The Mercenaries 3D, with strafing, aim while walking, shoot while walking etc. But the main thing I really enjoyed about this game is the fact that you can gyroscope aim, especially when you feel the 3D isn't doing it's part, I sometimes turned it off and went into gyroscope aiming.

The characters have a lot of detail.
The graphics look amazing in this game, and it's the best looking game on the 3DS with or without the 3D effect. However, sometimes I had some issues with the 3D(while it being rare). The thing about the 3D effect in REvelations, is that you can have normal, strong or very strong. Usually very strong is the way to go if you want amazing 3D effect, but sometimes my eyes weren't focused enough, meaning I see a lot of "ghosts" and aiming becomes difficult. But that's just me, I hope..


Now, there is one mode in this game which is AWESOME, the Raid mode. You get this mode when you complete the story. This mode is a lot like the "old" Mercenaries from RE3, well at least that's what I felt. The main thing about raid mode is to clear monsters from room to room and complete it, simple yet fun. But the thing that got me hooked was the fact that each time you complete a level, you get exp(to level up) and get random weapons/upgrades(custom weapon parts) after each level! Yes, random weapons! You can also upgrade them if you find custom parts throughout the maps. That is, if the weapons have upgradeable "slots", the other thing that is awesome in this mode is that it lets you and your friend play it online, but I don't have any friends, so I have no idea if it works that well.. But judging by the previous game(Mercenaries 3D) I'm sure it is smooth.
Chris Redfield shooting some enemies in raid mode.

While I could go on and on how great this mode is- what? Ohh! I forgot to mention you can also unlock other characters and costumes and whatnot! You also get BP each time you complete a map, this is the currency in this game. You can buy weapons, custom gun parts, you can even restock your ammo if you find some of your weapons have low ammo.

All in all, this game rocks, and gives you a lot of content. The story was fun and all that, but I saw it coming a mile away. So, it's kind of weak but still better than RE5.. But the things that make up for it are: smooth controls, great graphics, scaaary moments, great characters, the fact that you get to stare at Jills ass in 3D and of course, raid mode.

Well done, Capcom, well done..

No comments:

Post a Comment